Gian Kataria, Business Owner, Insignia International
The versatility and transformation of these electro mechanical equipment have come a long way ever since the professional blood transfusion services, which have undergone a revolution in the new millennium post 2000.
Lots of engineering gets involved in producing the device meant for use in a blood transfusion speciality.
Self-maintenance and upkeep is the key to a long-term usage, which should of course be understood at the time of installation by the manufacturing company.
Refrigeration equipment used for storage of whole blood, low temperature freezers for plasma and platelet agitators with incubators for platelets are a few of the major equipment functioning day and night must be dealt on frequent intervals while observing simple steps.
- Appropriate power input should be ensured and checked on frequent intervals.
- Blood transfusion services should be supported by a servo back up system to ensure a disruption free power to the equipment in use.
- Simple and regular cleaning of fins of the heat exchangers of respective equipment will ensue a free flow of fresh air to facilitate an effective cooling to the compressors for an improved performance.
- All the refrigeration equipment should not be frequently shifted or tipped to new locations.
- Power points and plugs should be monitored and checked regularly.
- Calibration of all equipment should be undertaken against the manufacturer’s guide lines. The calibrated equipment should have calibration traceability to national or international traceabilities.
- Rooms where these equipment are placed should always have adequate lighting and ventilation even during nights so that these heat emitting equipment dissipate the heat of the stored material in a scientific manner.
- Refrigeration equipment should never be opened like domestic almirahs thus preventing the loss of temperature of the stored inventory.
- On numerous occasions the stabilizers connected to the equipment are non-performing and dysfunctional to feed an appropriate power. On such occasions such faulty attachments, be disconnected immediately to prevent further damage to the equipment and stored material.
All above simple tips will help the users to draw optimum mileage from their vital equipment being used for storing blood and its components.