Niranjan K Ramakrishnan, CIO (IT), Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi
The main challenge for healthcare industry, faced with disruptive technology innovations, is to deal with the smart patient aiming to receive smart care through smart healthcare facilities, but for a smart price. In par with core clinical excellence, every healthcare organization is driven to build capabilities and leverage deep technical expertise and business strategy to adopt innovative health technologies of the future.
Some of the key initiatives that form part of our digital road map are:
- We started our digital journey with islands of automation a decade ago and built IT infrastructure and applications for individual processes.
- Business control was required to build integrated systems within our internal processes. We have created multiple layers of infrastructure to get a dashboard view.
- With increased patient engagement, multiple payment options and procurement needs resulted in building and adopting systems with external integration, seamlessly integrated with our enterprise system.
- In the last few years, we have travelled toward constructing digital intelligent system by adopting all meaningful innovations, be it SMAC, IoT, or equipment interfacing.
- By 2017-end, we are committed to build our smart ecosystem with a clear vision for digital capacity building.
Digital capacity-building vision for our hospital has a few key differentiators such as:
- Adopt IoT and digital health not because they are innovative but only when they bring substantial social impact to healthcare consumers and service providers.
- Appropriate use of virtual health, sensor technologies, remote care and telehealth with intent of giving the comfort of health at the end point of consumer, and expand the scope of service to outperform over the constraint of physical space.
- Accumulate structured clinical, financial, and administrative data and build an extensive clinical decision support system that changes the way the organization is taking decisions.
- Ensure that the digital patients are well informed and actively engage in their care so that they leave the premises with utmost satisfaction and good experience of the quality of healthcare service.