HDL comprises of several subclass particles, which differ in their sizes, densities and components; and are considered to play different roles in the progression and regression of arteriosclerosis. HDL3-C is a smaller and denser subfraction of the HDL particle. If HDL3-C is found to be in too low numbers the ability to remove cholesterol is reduced.Therefore it is widely accepted that there is an inverse correlation between HDL3-C and CVD risk, as demonstrated in a number of recent key publications:

  • HDL3 subclass may be primarily responsible for the inverse association of HDL-C and CV disease. (Albers et. al, 2016)
  • In secondary prevention, increased risk for long-term clinical events is associated with low HDL3-C, but not HDL2-C or HDL-C, highlighting the potential value of sub-classifying HDL-C. (Martin et. al, 2015)
  • Smaller, denser HDL3-C levels are primarily responsible for the inverse association between HDL-C and incident CHD in this diverse group of primary prevention subjects. (Joshi et. al, 2016)

Testing HDL3-C enables a more complete cardiac risk profile.

Standard tests for cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglyceride levels only detect approximately 20 percent of all CAD patients.The other 80 percent can only be identified by differentiating subgroups, and carrying out more detailed testing. Several clinical studies indicate that measuring these HDL subclasses better reflects primary and secondary CHD risk than measurement of total HDL, making it a significant independent biomarker for better risk profiling when used together with other risk markers.

Randox HDL3-C is an automated assay for the quantitative determination of HDL3-C in human serum or plasma.

Conventional methods for the determination of HDL3-C in plasma involve ultracentrifugation and gradient gel electrophoresis. These methods are, however, unsuitable for routine analysis of large numbers of samples, since they require complicated, time-consuming techniques.The HDL3-EX SEIKEN is a fully automated homogeneous assay for the quantification of HDL3-C.

It may be noted that Randox HDL3-C test is for research purpose only and not for use in diagnostic procedures.


Why is The Government So Bad at Health Care?

 

randox

Digital version